WHAT WE BELIEVE
United Methodists affirm the historic Christian faith as summarized in the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed.
WE BELIEVE in the Triune God- Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- God the Father, Our Creator, brings creation into existence, reveals the ways of life that make for peace and wholeness, and ever works to heal and transform life through the power of love.
- God the Son, Jesus Christ, the firstborn of a new creation, who through his life, death and Resurrection saves us and all creation from the power of sin and death.
- God the Holy Spirit, who comforts, sustains, guides and empowers us to participate in God’s mission in the world.
WE BELIEVE every person is a beloved child of God
- Whom God created in his divine image, with inherent worth and dignity.
- Who confronts and suffers the distorting and destructive effects of sin in this life.
- Whom God has reconciled in the life, death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, defeating the powers of sin and death.
- Whom God seeks to make holy and whole, through the presence the Holy Spirit, transforming us into Christ-likeness.
WE BELIEVE in the Church as the community of faith called to be instruments of God’s presence and the coming reign in Jesus Christ
- Where people worship God joyfully, proclaim God’s Word faithfully and share the sacraments of baptism and Holy Communion.
- Where all people are welcomed and nurtured as God’s sons and daughters.
- Where people are initiated into Christ’s body and nurtured toward Christian maturity through worship, prayer, study, fellowship and service.
- Where the light of God’s love, justice and peace exposes and overrules evil, injustice and sin.
- Where we participate in God’s mission of inviting and preparing disciples of Jesus Christ to transform the world by following the Holy Spirit into the hurting places in the world and among the outcasts and the forgotten.
WE BELIEVE the Bible reveals the Word of God
- Contains the story of God’s mighty acts of creation and salvation in faithful engagement with people through the ages and ultimately in Jesus Christ.
- Is the primary source of understanding of the nature and purposes of God.
- Is authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- Must be interpreted in the power of the Holy Spirit present in the community of faith.
WE BELIEVE in the final triumph of God’s reign of compassion, justice, generosity, and peace.
- Anticipating the first fruits made possible today through the power of the Spirit and the reign of Christ.
- Discovering a renewed creation where sin, suffering and death are overcome and God’s victory is complete.
- Celebrating with all the faithful who are raised to live eternally in God’s loving presence.
- Extending God’s love to the whole of creation, with God’s mercy redeeming all his works.
-Bishop Kenneth L. Carder
We invite you to learn more about our rich theological heritage by accessing the following websites.
The People of the United Methodist Church: What We Believe
The Basics of Our Faith: United Methodists affirm the faith shared by all Christians, with particular emphasis on God’s grace and on Christian living.
Our Mission Statement: The mission of the United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Learn more about the nature of our mission in the world here.
Social Principles and Our Social Creed: These statements help guide our thinking and acting about how we live in, and are in engaged in, ministry in the world.
Our Faith Journey: Faith does not happen overnight. It’s a journey. From birth to death we’re growing in faith. Find out more here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Find answers to the most asked questions on beliefs, social issues and giving and mission opportunities.